As with any other candles, soy candles must be burned properly to get the most out of them, and for safety reasons. Here is a rundown on how to burn soy candles.
Soy candle wax has what’s called a memory. That means that when you burn a soy candle and then extinguish it, the next time you burn it, the soy candle wax will melt across as far as it did the first time.
This is why it is so important to allow soy candles to burn all the way across to the edge of the container the first time you burn it before putting it out. This ensures that your soy candle does not “tunnel” as it burns, leaving wax along the sides of the container. When I lit a candle I usually never turn it off before 2 hrs. This is where the scent is in scented soy candles. A good melt pool will give off the best fragrance throw. Burn your candles for NO more than 4 hrs at a time to prevent the container from getting too hot and to maintain a nice clean burn! Let the container cool before touching.
Too shallow of a melt pool will keep the candle from releasing the best amount of fragrance into the room. Too deep of a melt pool means the wick is too big for the candle and the candle will burn too hot , which means the soy candles wax will burn up too fast and the wick would need to be trimmed much more often.
Another tip is to keep your soy candles away from drafts to prevent smoking and soot. Soy candles produce little soot when burned properly, but any candle will smoke and create soot if exposed to too much air, which is what happens if there is a draft.
If you are experiencing problems with your wick not staying lit or maybe creating a mushroom ball on the tip of the wick, It just needs to be trimmed a bit, turn if off trim and lit again. In some cases the wick can drown in the wax so just throw a bit of wax to uncover the wick and relit. To trim it, make sure the wax is firm and cool to the touch, then use your fingers to pinch off the burnt top of the wick. Keeping your wick trimmed to about 1/4in. will also keep your soy candles from smoking and causing soot.
Discontinue use when 1/2 inch of wax remains. Keep away from drafts, children, pets ab flammable objects. Burn on fireproof holder and for 4 hrs. at a time. NEVER leave a burning candle unattended.
To prevent fire and serious injury, burn candle within sight. Keep away from drafts. Keep out of reach from children and pets. Never burn candle on or around anything that can catch fire. Remove wax melt from package before use. Use only in warmers designed for wax melts. Never add water or cover pot. Do not heat if pot contains less than 1/2" of wax.
There’s a special beauty and tranquility to candles, but a lighted candle is also an open flame, and a potential fire hazard if not carefully monitored. In fact, accidental candle fires account for approximately four percent of all U.S. residential fires.
A study by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission suggests that 85 percent of candle fires could be avoided if consumers followed three basic safety rules:
The National Candle Association urges consumers to always follow the basic rules of fire safety when burning candles.
Trim the wick to ¼ inch each time before burning. Long or crooked wicks can cause uneven burning, dripping or flaring.
Never touch or move a burning candle. Never move a votive or container candle when the wax is liquefied.
Use a candle snuffer to extinguish a candle. It’s the safest way to prevent hot wax from splattering.
Nearly 10,000 residential fires are caused each year by the careless or inappropriate use of candles.
Become a KAELYN & CO. Insider
Want to know when we have special offers? Sign up today!